This morning the oracle that is Facebook informed me of a notification. Shockingly, I read it…
It was our Sharon sharing a memory, and the invite to add it to my timeline.
Rhys Jones Community Centre Relaunched 2 Years Ago!
I can’t believe how much has happened in 2 years. It seems like only a few weeks ago I was asked if I could step in as a Director of the Rhys Jones Community Centre CIC. It’s been such a journey and a learning curve for all 3 of us.
How did we get here? Well, I am under no illusion it was down to pure grit, stubbornness, blood, sweat and more than a few tears but most of all LOVE from 2 fabulous ladies. Our Karen and Sharon.
Cast your mind back just over two years ago.
Most of the Centre was closed due to a leak, the portacabin was battered and broken into, the coffers were empty. Karen was there as a volunteer trying to hold things together. Sharon was working with the old Foundation as a consultant. They walk in to find the doors are closing for the final time. The Foundation really had no other option – there was no money to repair the place and keep it going.
The Ladies were heartbroken, they couldn’t let the Centre just close…
So they didn’t.
I’m telling you, those Ladies had BALLS.
- They agreed with the old Charity to take over the Centre,
- They set up a Community Interest Company (CIC), using their own money to open the bank account,
- They did a hell of a lot of talking and negotiating to keep the doors open with absolutely NO FUNDING from the Council
Then they re-opened the Centre as Rhys Jones Community Centre CIC with an Open Day 2 years ago today which raised £924. Enough to get us off the starting block!
Rhys Jones Community Centre – a Community Hub in the Heart of Croxteth Park
Our Centre has the tag “Raising Aspirations, Hope and Community Unity”. Our tag line stands behind everything we do. From no hope and doors closing to a flourishing hub operating 7 days per week in just 2 years. Just WOW!
In 2 years we have:
- Gone from no hope to offering services 7 days per week
- Grown from volunteers only to employ 1 person full time and 2 session staff
- Provided an affordable holiday club with snacks and lunch during half-terms and summer holidays
- Provided food hampers to families, couples and individuals around the Croxteth Park Estate
- Launched “Croxteth Healthy Minds” to provide young people aged 10-18yrs with a safe place they can talk and work through issues with no judgement
- Opened the hall and pitches available to hire to groups, organisations and individuals
- and changed from a CIC to a registered Charity (The Rhys Jones Foundation, Charity 1181110)
Thank you from the 3 of us for your support over the last 2 years. It means the world to us!
If you would like to support our Centre, please get involved – find out more on our Get Involved Page. Why not chip in £1-£2 per month? You can set up a monthly subscription securely via our Local Giving Page here. Your £2 could pay for a young person to attend our holiday club and peace of mind for parents knowing their child is safe and fed for the day. You really can make a difference!